Tuesday, May 15, 2012

ALMOND AND CREAM CHEESE PIKELETS



You need a temperature controlled hot plate. I used our Breville Healthy Grill on the sandwich setting. The non stick surface needed no extra oil or butter.


Ingredients


5 eggs well beaten
250 gm carton of cream cheese Riccotta cheese would also work
1 tablespoon of cider vinegar or lemon juice
70 gm pkt of ground almonds
1 teaspoon of baking powder


Add cream cheese and cider vinegar  to eggs and beat until smooth.


Add ground almonds and baking powder. Mix well. I used my little hand-held electric beater or mix by hand.




Ladle spoonfuls onto hot griddle. Wait until bottom is coloured and nicely golden before turning to finish cooking.


I used an ordinary non-metal spatula to turn. I suggest a thin silicon spatular at least the width of the pikelets.


I did not add sugar and didn't find it needed. You could add dried fruit such as sultanas or dried blueberries.


We ate these plain. I can imagine them topped with a little berry jam and dab of whipped cream. Alternatively they would be equally at home as canapes topped with salmon and sour cream.


They are tender but firm up when cold.


I've been hungering for pancakes. This recipe works as smaller pikelets. It is too soft to successfully turn anything larger than a pikelet. 


I guess I ate nearly half the pikelets. I was hungry after not having breakfast. Now I am very full.


This is a simple list of ingredients open to experimenting with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment